RE: Document Management Systems

Subject: RE: Document Management Systems
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:48:38 -0400

My experience with using SW developers' version-control
software is that it expects to see mostly text files,
and that the usual internal practice is for the system
to store the occasional checkpoint or milestone file, in full.
Interim, daily versions are stored as much smaller deltas of
whatever was last checked out. So you normally have a few
hefty text files (the initial project file and a few checkpoint
versions, and all the daily between versions are just tiny
little incremental deltas.

If you give a system like that a binary, instead of
a text file, it can't do a delta. Instead, each time
you check out and check in such a file, the system needs
to store the whole thing.

If FM files are regarded as binaries in your system, then
you can use up enormous amounts of server real-estate
really quickly. The systems I tried saw FM files as binaries,
and I was asked to stop clogging the system with them.

Your mileage may vary.

/kevin

[snip]