RE: a vocabulary question

Subject: RE: a vocabulary question
From: Michael Simoni <msimoni -at- omware -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:14:45 -0700

At one point, I had to document some scheduling software, something like
Microsoft Project but more simplistic. Users entered tasks and set up the
relationships between tasks.

At least with scheduling, not only do dependencies go downstream-when A is
complete B can begin, but dependencies also go upstream-B cannot begin until
A is complete. For this reason, dependencies are defined in terms of
predecessor or succesor relationships. A is the predecessor dependecy to B.
B is the successor dependency to A. Yes, it's a big game of semantics. But
most of my audience already understood the usage.

Your programmers are working with one connotation and you are working with
another. What matters is the audience, but don't spend a lot of time on the
definition of a single word. Make a choice and move on.

Michael D Simoni