RE: Monitor Calibration

Subject: RE: Monitor Calibration
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:33:46 -0400

Dick Margulis wrote:
> Annamaria Profit wrote:
> >Now let me offer another choice! what about purchasing
> "full-spectrum
> >light" lightbulbs.
>
> Annamaria, your solution is expensive (and, while pleasant,
> maybe less satisfying than Barry's 40-50% alcohol by volume
> solution). But it is only partial. Real documents are read in
> varying light conditions, and paper documents are never going
> to match what is on your monitor. So why not just print the
> darned thing and look at it to decide if you need to adjust colors.
>
> Where daylight bulbs come into play is in pre-press. I think
> those of us in pre-laser-printer can forego the luxury.

When you print something out on a color laser, and it looks
ugly, compared to what you thought you were getting from
the screen... how do you know which way -- and how much --
to tweak the on-screen colors, to achieve the laser-printer
end-result you seek?

I find trial-and-terror printing to be time-consuming, and a
bit expensive.

By the way, I do all my printing from PDF, since I just hate
the disruption of printing direct from FM (with text reflow)...
and then forgetting to set the default printer back...
So the tweak-print-tweak-print process is tedious. That's
especially true since the printer takes a few minutes to
rip each new job.
Any tips and tricks for color-adjust would be appreciated.
That pleasant shade of teal that I used onscreen comes out
a jolting shade of Smurf blue on the printed page. This must
stop. :-)

By the way, I'm using Win NT 4, whose color-handling is legendary.

/kevin