Re: a vocabulary question

Subject: Re: a vocabulary question
From: "John Gilger" <bjgilger -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Mark Levinson" <MarkL -at- gilian -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:54:16 +0100

The programmers are right. If you are going to document software, especially
for programmers or related users, you have to use their language. Actually,
no matter what you document, you have to do it in the audience's terms.

I am creating software specifications and user documents for a product
requestedby and designed for the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
(AEC) community. Some meeting get quite interesting, since many of the
metaphors used by software engineers come from the construction industry.
You may be surprised how many definitions "specification" or "spec" has.

We write our software requirements using the software engineers' metaphors
and the user docs using the architects' definitions. As long as we meet with
each group separately, the communication works ok.

John