RE: Building index files in Frame

Subject: RE: Building index files in Frame
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:49:45 +0200

RE: Building index files in Frame

Martin Smith wrote:
>I have written a script that reads
an input file containing a list of words, searches all chapters in the book
for each word in the list, and automatically inserts an index marker when it
finds a match.

Hi Martin,
this may be working, but the result is not an index, even if it is called
so in the program - but a concordance list.

As user I do not want to find a l l appearances of a word, but the
relevant ones.
Additional I want to find chapters to a topic, if the word is not in the
text, or if a similar word only is in the text.

I think, to create a good index, you must decide manually which entries to
be made. There is no good way around it.

You may have tools to help you, but they cannot take this work away.

By the way, some times I liker also concordance lists.

Best regards
Bernd

Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de