Help Developer Job Description/Salary

Subject: Help Developer Job Description/Salary
From: Anna Schneck <AnnaS -at- winteam -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:36:09 -0500

I've just started a new job "managing" a small doc department
for a small software company in the Midwest.

I am looking for a job description/salary range for an online help developer
who does no writing.

Current job duties:
* Uses RoboHELP to put together online help files based on content
written in Word by other employees. The writers suggest links, jumps, etc.,
and the helps person implements them.
* Generates map ids and links helps with assistance from application
developers. Can scan code for application map ids.
* Uses Microsoft Project to track and manage help project topics, etc.
* Generates some help topics, creates file in Word, and sends to
writer for content development.
* Designs the background colors, etc. for helps (basic layout and
template)
* Will be learning how to convert WinHelp files to HTML, has a basic
understanding of HTML, but hasn't used it extensively.

I have an idea of what a position like this should be paid, but would like
some input from others
in the tech writing arena. Thanks in advance for the input.
anna
Anna Sojka

Point to Ponder:
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."
-- e. e. cummings