Marketing Writers/Tech Writers

Subject: Marketing Writers/Tech Writers
From: - <mariposa625 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:15:11 -0700 (PDT)

I have been on this job 2-3 months. They previously
had no tech writers/documentation dept at all, so they
are 'feeling their way through.'

They needed a proposal writer and also a tech writer.
They hired me to be more 'tech-y' and the other writer
to be more 'proposal-y.' But since all is so informal
here - (i.e., everything is new, etc.) we are crossing
over a lot. This is not a huge problem because I have
no problem with persuasive writing. However, now they
have decided to hire a manager. This person is
apparently more of a Proposal/Grant Writer type - I
think they are giving her the title "Opportunity
Coordinator" or something like that. But both of us
are to report to her.

I am curious - how do most co's do this? Do tech
writer and marketing-type proposal writers usually
report to the same person? Are they usually even in
close physical proximity? Or are tech writers closer
to programming and marketing writers closer to
marketing? Because that is an issue too - they want to
make a 'lab,' with no partitions, just one room, with
a counter running the perimeter of the room and use
sitting there - as though writing is a 'lab' -type
endeavor.

Frankly, I don't see writing as a 'lab' type activity
- with many people in one room 'having at it.' It is
a solo activity but it is also collaborative in that
it is goo0d to have edits fromm others in diff depts,
with diff points of view, etc

I feel like I am closer to the programmers - I have a
background in programming (some) and also some in
network administration, and I work constantly with the
programmers. I feel like the proposal/marketing types
are closer to the VP's in marketing.

In all the other co's in which I have worked there
were only 'tech'y' type tech writers - there were not
proposal writers. For this reason I am not sure how it
usually is done.

Any help would be appreciated

Anne S.

=====