Web Question

Subject: Web Question
From: kelli -dot- lewis -at- onyxgfx -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:06:53 -0700

I am forwarding this question at the request of a fellow tech writer. Please
respond to her at lesley -dot- roth -at- pentagon -dot- af -dot- mil -dot-

Thanks,
Kelli

I have a question for all the web gurus out there...

But first, some project background--I am currently the requirements analyst
on a web project in which we are building an internal framework that allows
content maintenance to be performed by a particular group of users. The
content maintenance section of the site is restricted to certain users and
access is controlled by a login. The content maintainers are assigned to
groups and only have access to pages within their group. Once in their
group area, content maintainers select from a number of pre-defined template
types and then they enter their content. There is a basic text editor built
into the templates so there is no need for the content maintainers to know
HTML or any other web technology (a priority requirement). Content
generation is dynamic and changes are reflected immediately in the site map,
the pages that have the changes, and the navigation tools.

Currently, content maintainers are unable to order their pages. We would
like to provide this ability as well as offer a visual map of what their
current layout looks like--we would like to provide this at the group level
and the overall site level. I have thought about using something similar to
Front Page's drag and drop feature to do this (where there is a map of the
page hierarchy and you select a page, drag it and drop it to where you would
like the page to appear). Has anyone done something similar to this or does
anyone have any better ideas? We are kicking ideas around at the moment and
are not sure what is technically possible or the most user friendly.
Thoughts, suggestions, pointers to other sources of info, and war stories
are all appreciated.

Please respond off list.

Thanks--
Lesley Roth