Re: Hackos, calibration

Subject: Re: Hackos, calibration
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:15:21 GMT

In response to puppy vaugn asking about a Hackos implementation - I saw some people try it without complete success. It was in a large online service provider which was undergoing an identity crisis at the time. A small number of tech writers and tech writing managers adopted the project management approach. They met some resistance from other writers who were not used to the approach, and great resistance from the developers who were not used to tucking their shirts in, never mind disciplined project managment. On top of that, we had separate problems arising from version conflicts in Word, made more complicated by the use of Requisite Pro - trying to make a template that looked the same on everyone's machine was "interesting."

They did manage to track some projects, but it was never really accepted into the culture of the company. Those people finally left in frustration, and soon the company was bought and most of the people in development and documentation were let go, anyway.

Dick Margulis (labas!) writes:

3. Perceived hues change dramatically under different lighting conditions.

Quite true. For example, a pair of slacks that might have looked green under the closet light turns out to be rather blue under the office lights. As today marks the autumnal equinox this "got dressed in the dark" phenomenon looms as a growing threat to those of us who are not telecommuters.

Barry Kieffer writes:

I sometimes take my editing to a dimly lit bar, where four to five glasses of
scotch warm my editing malice.

While I'm not much of a scotch drinker, I've noticed that the appearance of the editing can vary according to the lightness or darkness of the microbrew I'm having. (It is possible that the famous "brown ring of quality" corporate logo may have been designed under similar circumstances.) The darker brews also increase the difficulty of distinguishing items of clothing, as noted above, so when making arrangements for collaborative team get-togethers, it might be advisible to drop the requirement that everyone leave the meeting with the same clothes they had at the beginning.

- A