Re: web authoring questions (dhtml v. javascript)

Subject: Re: web authoring questions (dhtml v. javascript)
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "Cayenne Woods"<cwoods -at- purplevoice -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:40:30 +0200

Cayenne,

After some discussions with the Web Department at prodok, I come to the following:

First, there seem to be some terminology problems:

DHTML is a term made up by (I think originally) Microsoft, though everyone uses it nowadays. It means HTML + CSS + a scripting language, usually JavaScript/JScript.

With dropdown menus: could it be that you are thinking of those Godawful Java things. (just in case....JAVA IS NOT JAVASCRIPT the only thing they have in common are three letters.) Using Java applets for NAVIGATION is, IMHO, a pure waste of resources, time, and evil thing to do. Besides it makes every other browser crash.

Javascript functions can be triggered from any Image Map area.

Yes, you can do DHTML "dropdown menus".

However, they are not beginner level DHTML. Most neophytes attempting this can only get to work in one browser. Bottom line: if you don't know how to define it, don't do it.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

Query on Web authoring solutions, 'cos there's nowhere else I can find to ask.
If folks have suggestions of where else to ask this, I'd appreciate that as
well.
I want to create a navigation bar with dropdown menus on our intranet, and I
want the dropdown menus to be links to parts of that section (so you can choose
the sub-section you want easily, without going to a separate page and then
choosing links there.)

There seem to be two ways of doing this, with dhtml being more frequently
mentioned. My main question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages of these
two methods? The dhtml method seems like less code, possibly, and maybe easier.

Also, presumably this has to be done with boxes and text described in the code,
rather than images? Looks like you can't have an image map with dhtml or
javascript inside it.