Re: Tools: annotation of Web sites

Subject: Re: Tools: annotation of Web sites
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:20:22 -0400

I have not looked at any of the "annotation" tools Geoff discusses, so I don't know how user-friendly their interfaces are. But what I have done to good effect is use Acrobat for collaborative site design.

Acrobat 4, including Acrobat Business Tools (a $79 package), lets you open a Web page as a PDF document. File-> Open Web Page brings up a dialog in which you type a URL (or UNC IIRC, which is helpful in early stages of development). When the page opens, you click links on the page to open further pages and add them to the document.

Then you use the Notes tool in Acrobat to drop little stickies all over the place with your comments--identified by contributor automatically, color-coded if you wish, arbitrarily long, and placed right next to the element you are commenting on.

This has proven effective for us and it is at least an alternative to the kind of tool Geoff talks about.

Dick