QUERY: Grammar and Usage Handbook

Subject: QUERY: Grammar and Usage Handbook
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:10:51 -0400

Hi gang,

My husband recently started college, and he is studying Koine Greek. He is
finding that it would be helpful if he remembered his grammar lessons from
junior high and high school 12+ years ago. I have been trying to explain
indirect and direct objects, past participles, infinitives, subjects,
predicates, and the like. The problem is, I'm hard pressed to remember all
of the definitions myself, and I'm not doing the greatest with giving him
example sentences in English to help him understand the terms so that he can
apply the concepts to the Greek.

I'm looking for advice! Can you recommend a grammar and usage handbook that
covers the basics for his benefit but would also be a good desk reference
for me as a tech writer? I'm interested in something that covers
punctuation and verb tenses in addition to the parts of speech. I've poked
around on Amazon.com, but the descriptions of some of the handbooks aren't
very informative. I'm almost ready to dig up my 8th grade Grammar and Comp
book next time I visit my folks!

I'm not looking for a style guide--I already have a couple of those, and my
hubby had to buy the MLA handbook for another class.

Please reply off list. I'll forward any info I get to anybody who is
interested.

Thanks,
Megan

Megan E. Rock
Technical Writer
Product Information
FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.
Direct Phone: 1.248.377.7948
Fax: 1.248.377.7948
E-mail: megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com
Web: http://www.fanucrobotics.com