RE: Terminology

Subject: RE: Terminology
From: "Sarah Bane" <Sarah -dot- Bane -at- ProphetLine -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Candie McKee" <kiruna91 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:47:59 -0500

Candie asks,

> I was asked to create a vocabulary training session. What does
> this mean?

Means either that they have a lot of confidence in you as the resident word
geek, or that they couldn't find another patsy <g>.

> Basically, it is a mini-vocabulary class. After reading several books on
> building vocabulary, I have found that most of it is very basic: Student
> memorizes word. I would like for this class to be more
> interactive (i.e.
> vocabulary jeopardy; Vocabble (akin to scrabble)). I have seen the use of
> cartoons, but I lack this rather involved talent.
>
> Any ideas?

I've given occasional quizzes in my college classes (night job) in a "Who
Wants To Be A Millionaire" format. The students either had fun with it or
pretended to because they wanted good grades. It seemed to appeal to the
"older" (my age) students as well as the traditional-aged ones.

For a vocabulary training session you might come up with multiple-choice
options for definitions, including a couple that are close and one that is
just for laughs.

As with the game show, I allowed each student three lifelines. The
phone-a-friend lifeline consisted of passing the question to the person in
the next seat.

Greatest drawback to this is not having the big prizes....

Sarah Bane
Technical Writer, ProphetLine, Inc.
and Associate Instructor, Westark College
sarah -dot- bane -at- prophetline -dot- com
sbane -at- systema -dot- westark -dot- edu

Opinions expressed are my own and not endorsed by ProphetLine or by Westark.