Re: Marketing Writers/Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Marketing Writers/Tech Writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:41:39 -0700

<mariposa625 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>I am curious - how do most co's do this? Do tech
>writer and marketing-type proposal writers usually
>report to the same person? Are they usually even in
>close physical proximity? Or are tech writers closer
>to programming and marketing writers closer to
>marketing?

It depends on the company. Some group all writers together, while
others attach them to different departments. I wouldn't really
worry too much about the exact arrangement if I were you. A basic
rule of systems theory is that, where a formal structure is
inadequate, an informal one will evolve to replace it. For
example, if marketing and tech writers need to communicate and
they're in separate departments, they'll wander over to each
other's desks, or talk over lunch. Conversely, if they sit
together but need to consult different people, they'll find a way
to do that, too.

That said, one advantage of the writers sitting together is that
the marketing writers can do a better job if they have easy
access to someone who can explain the product to them in some
detail. Tech-writers are good people to do the explaining,
because, as fellow writers, they are more likely to be listened
to. If the marketers have this access, their work should be more
detailed, and less empty hype - to say nothing of more ethical.
In return, the marketers may be able to give the tech writers a
better sense of their audience. And, of course, both can help
each other with proofreading.

>I feel like I am closer to the programmers - I have a
>background in programming (some) and also some in
>network administration, and I work constantly with the
>programmers. I feel like the proposal/marketing types
>are closer to the VP's in marketing.

Maybe this is another benefit: each type of writer has access to
people in the company that the other type doesn't.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"And we are right, I think you'll say,