RE: TW's who write fiction

Subject: RE: TW's who write fiction
From: "Parker, Kami {16-1~Indianapolis}" <KAMI -dot- PARKER -at- ROCHE -dot- COM>
To: 'Tech Writer' <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:07:05 -0400

True, Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon is an excellent novel. However,
I'll argue that he should wear the crown of "the most famous fiction writer
who was formerly a technical writer". I'll concede that being a Hoosier
makes me somewhat biased but our native son, Kurt Vonnegut, was also a
technical writer for GE and interestingly enough a salesman for a Saab
dealership in his pre-Kilgore Trout lives. Arguably, he does have some
sci-fi tendencies but I wouldn't necessarily classify him in that genre.

Coincidentally, last Friday I was flipping through The Elements of Technical
Writing by Blake and Bly and happened upon the following quote:

"Newspaper reporters and technical writers are trained to reveal almost
nothing about themselves in their writing. This makes them freaks in the
world of writers, since almost all of the other ink-stained wretches in that
world reveal a lot about themselves to the reader."
--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., novelist and former technical publicist for General
Electric

Kami Parker

> Perhaps the most famous writer who used to work as a
> technical writer, that
> I know of, is Thomas Pynchon. He worked in Seattle, for
> Boeing, although I
> think it was for only a year or so.
>
> Ted Hornoi-Centerwall
> Technical Writer, COMSYS
> wallink -at- nwlink -dot- com
>
> The opinions expressed here are mine, and not those of my employer, my
> customer, or my colleagues.

Kami Parker
Consulting Analyst - Technical Writer
Software Synergy, Inc.