Re: TW's who write fiction

Subject: Re: TW's who write fiction
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "Parker, Kami {16-1~Indianapolis}" <KAMI -dot- PARKER -at- ROCHE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:35:38 -0700

"Parker, Kami {16-1~Indianapolis}" wrote:

> I'll concede that being a Hoosier
> makes me somewhat biased but our native son, Kurt Vonnegut, was also a
> technical writer for GE and interestingly enough a salesman for a Saab
> dealership in his pre-Kilgore Trout lives. Arguably, he does have some
> sci-fi tendencies but I wouldn't necessarily classify him in that genre.

Vonnegut himself has done his best to distance himself from his
origins. I can't blame him, since by doing so he got paid much
better (it might be a different matter today, when SF routinely
gets on the best seller lists). But I often wonder how he
explains all those stories in science fiction magazines and
anthologies from the Fifties that have his name on them. For that
matter, I often wonder how he explains that most of his novels
are variations on well-used science fiction themes. Writers of
his generation seem to have stopped being science fiction writers
once they achieved a measure of success.

(Sorry - an outbreak of academic mania in my brain. I was going
to go on to draw a comparison betwee Vonnegut's classification
and the pre-occupation that some tech writers have with job
titles, but I think I should lie down instead).

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"And we are right, I think you'll say,