From Control Panel or From Start Menu - Informal Survey

Subject: From Control Panel or From Start Menu - Informal Survey
From: linda -at- gric -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:27:24 -0700

Hi all -

I've searched the archives to see if this has been covered, but didn't seem
to find anything pertinent.

The document is online help for our free downloadable dialer, used by
travelers to roam - that is, to log into a local ISP who is a member of the
GRIC Alliance - and, for the cost of a local call, make an Internet
connection without having to call long distance back to the home ISP.

For PC users, some configuration is necessary, requiring the user to access
some functions available on the Control Panel.

Should we assume that everyone knows where to find the Control Panel? (I
know I hate to make assumptions, but this seems like a logical one.)

Or, should we add steps to each set of instructions, directing them to the
Control Panel from the Start menu?

Bottom line question: If I instruct you to go to Control Panel, would YOU
(not my hypothetical user, but YOU) know what and where Control Panel is?

Much Thanks,
Linda