Re: Writing functional specifications

Subject: Re: Writing functional specifications
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Sonja Waller <swaller_2000 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:19:43 -0700 (PDT)

> I believe we should always defer to helping someone,
> rather than saying go look yourself. I believe we get
> back as much as we give.

Sonya...I've been on this list for a very long time and I've never
refrained from helping someone if I had something constructive to
contribute. However, there is nothing wrong with expecting someone to
also help themselves. We are a resource yes, gained through many
hours of sweat, errors, and research. We didn't get it for free and
we weren't born with it.

Aside from that, people will get a more accurate and thought-out
question if we have something to go on...and most times, that comes
only after the initial research. In addition, when the research was
done and the question asked anyway, the answers that were received
(of which I haven't seen any suggestions answering the oroginal
question yet...unless they went private, which kills th purpose of
this list anyway) made more sense to the original poster and they
were able to use the input more effectively.

I might or might not have been wrong in this case..I'm usualy wrong
about something at least once a day. However, we've seen many
questions that appeared similar to that one where there was no
previous thought and we were expected to do someone's work. In fact,
when I'd responded in a similar manner a few days ago, I got an email
back from the person saying how she hadn't thought of that and that
the suggestion was the most useful one received.

I may have applied the answer at the wrong time (though still
unconvinced about that), but I'll stick by the intent of the answer.

> > Sure...your web browser's search button.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com