RE: Writing functional specifications

Subject: RE: Writing functional specifications
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:41:13 -0500

I agree with John's premise that doing the research on your own
shows that you've thought about the type of information you want and
you've looked. I think the preferred inquiry is in this style:
<sample inquiry>
Hi, I'm looking for some tips on writing/editing functional specs. I've
used http://www.google.com and http://www.dogpile.com and found nothing
that I can use. I've also looked in the list archives. I found a couple
of posts about it, but nothing more than "Let me know what you find out"
style posts. Anyone got anything that can help me?"
<end sample inquiry>
Maybe something like that?
For example, I am currently doing web searches (off and on) for
sample .hlp files that are big. I am working on converting 1,459
documents into a .hlp file system. I am concerned about how to organize
hundreds of .hlp files, both at the user level as well as the help
author level. I know I can combine them into a master.cnt file and I
know there are other strategies, but before I decide on one, I want to
evaluate them all. So, before I post a blind query of "Anyone got any
examples of huge .hlp file systems I can look at?" I'm doing my
research. If I find nothing by 11/1 (my self-imposed deadline), you'll
probably see such a request <hint, hint>.
The above example is not designed to make me a hypocrite, though
I can see where some people might think I am being hypocritical, saying
I won't ask for help, and then ask for help.

Paul