Re: From Control Panel or From Start Menu - Informal Survey

Subject: Re: From Control Panel or From Start Menu - Informal Survey
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:43:15 -0400

John Posada wrote:
> > I would write one set of instructions for accessing the Control
> > Panel, then add one step to the beginning of each set of instructions
> > that is worded something like, "Access the Control Panel," and is a
> > link to the detailed instructions.
> Good idea unless you are writing for online or online help, where you
> cannot be certain that they won't come in after the initial
> definition, but before the requirement to access the Control Panel.
> Then you might consider makikng it a popup or a separate linked page.

That's what I was saying to do. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

1) Create a topic that describes how to access the Control Panel

2) Every time you have a set of instructions where the reader will
need to begin by accessing the Control Panel, start that set
of instructions with a link to the "utility" topic.

This will also come in handy if the instructions for accessing the
control panel ever need to change. You'll only need to change them
in one place.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu