Re: Burn Out

Subject: Re: Burn Out
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Atek Writer <atekwriter30 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:06:06 -0700

Atek Writer wrote:

> I hope this isn't off-topic -- it is hard for me to make a judgement call on
> this one. I think this is something that technical writers (and
> particularly contractors) have to deal with (really anyone with shifting
> deadlines and tight schedules) -- so I'd appreciate your comments.

Actually, as a contractor, I don't really have to worry about
burnout. If I get bored, I just move on.

If there's parts of your present situation that you don't like -
you mention a lack of close contact with people during the work
day - keep moving until you find a place that you can work on
site or where you constantly interact as part of a team.

If boredom is your problem,then moving on is also a solution.
with new technologies to master and new people to interact with,
you should be able to stave off boredome for at least a year or
two.

However, I don't think that that solution will work if you want a
stable working location. Contractor or full-time, your job's
about as stable as Birnham Wood just before it surprised Macbeth.
There's not much you can do about it, no matter what your
profession.

Meanwhile, see what variation you can introduce into your own
job. Try getting involved with layout, or interface design, or
marketing. Moving to the edges of these areas from tech-writing
isn't too much of a jump, so you might have a good chance to
branch out.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux