Re: Burn Out

Subject: Re: Burn Out
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Atek Writer <atekwriter30 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:33:58 -0400

Atek Writer wrote:

> I hope this isn't off-topic -- it is hard for me to make a judgement call on
> this one. I think this is something that technical writers (and
> particularly contractors) have to deal with (really anyone with shifting
> deadlines and tight schedules) -- so I'd appreciate your comments.

<snip>
> So -- with that background (sorry it was so long) -- are there any
> suggestions that you can give me in terms of coping with burnout? Any
> strategies that are particularly helpful for tech writers or contractors (or
> anyone with tight shifting deadlines)?

Just say no!. I have suffered from burnout in a prior career. (law.) I
understand that you have made commitments, but the one to your health is
more important. I also understand the ethics of a commitment. I would
try to find someone to work with to relieve part of my work burden.
Subcontract your commitment to someone reliable and don't fret if they
don't do things exactly the way you would have done them. Then, take a
real vacation. Go somewhere adventurous, or peaceful. Go to a gym and
work out furiously, under proper supervision. The idea is to take up a
totally different activity that you can immerse yourself in. Relax and
try to enjoy what you have. I wonder if you are more frustrated than
bored. Consider counseling. If you see warning signs your problem is not
at the critical stage, yet. Counseling with a professional may help you
prevent it from reaching that stage.

--
---
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)