Re: PDF compression settings

Subject: Re: PDF compression settings
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "BethK" <kanerb -at- concentric -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:57:04 +0200

Beth,

It depends a lot on what kind of images you inserted into your document. Are they bitmaps (do they need to be bitmaps?)

The compression settings are indeed one place where the result on screen and in print can be affected. you have essentially two dials to play with. One is the Compression, which means that you select the compression algorithm to be used. JPEG is the lossy JPEG algorithm with various levels of lossyness; ZIP is lossless. Then you have the Resampling setting. Here you actually resample (recalculate) the image at another (lower) resolution, which means that you will actually throw away a lot of information from your image, using a more or less elaborate procedure.

If your images are mainly screenshots, you should get pretty good results by switching Resampling off and using the ZIP-8bit compression. If your images are photographic type, and your main output device is the screen (in other words, not highend print), you may get halfway decent results by Resampling and als using a medium JPEG compression setting.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

I just started using Acrobat 4.0 for creating PDFs. In the first Word file I
distilled, every graphic came out unacceptably blurry. So I consulted
compression settings, people say.

In Distiller, Settings > Job Options, I clicked the Compression tab and
cleared the check boxes under Color Bitmap Images for both Resampling and
Compression.

This worked. However, my file size jumped from 800K to 10MB!

Does anyone know just the right settings to get both clear graphics and a
not-too-huge file size? I could keep experimenting, but time's a-wasting and
I thought some of you might have this answer at hand.