Re: Technical writing and Marketing

Subject: Re: Technical writing and Marketing
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Judith Scott <judith -dot- anne -at- home -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:39:37 -0400

Judith,

Only you can decide what's best for you. In my experience, writing
procedures is easy. You know when you've got it right; and until the
software changes, if it was right yesterday, it's right today.

In marketing writing, though, you never have it right. Everyone who
considers himself or herself more knowledgeable about marketing than you
are--in other words, everyone in the known universe--will tell you that
what you wrote yesterday is wrong. In fact, what you wrote last week and
got signed approval on is wrong, too. It needs to be completely
rewritten now for a deadline that was moved forward to noon today except
nobody told you about it because you weren't included in the meeting.
And, oh, by the way, that $25,000 print job you just sent out yesterday
has a typo on it.

So, if you are someone who thrives on ambiguity, handles
passive-aggressive behavior well, and doesn't mind spinning dross into
gold, there are benefits to moving to marketing. You'll probably get
paid better (in fact you should demand a substantial raise). Your work
will be much more varied and challenging. You'll learn new skills.
You'll have the chance to apply your creativity more freely.

On the other hand, if all that sounds scary, maybe you should remain
where you are and plot your career path up through the technical
thickets instead.

Dick