Re: Importing Illustrator EPS into Word

Subject: Re: Importing Illustrator EPS into Word
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Arbing, Susan" <Susan -dot- Arbing -at- Cyberplex -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:47:54 -0400

Susan,

I see a couple of potential problems with what you are doing. First, Word may be grabbing the preview TIFF instead of the EPS (I'm neve sure which way Word is going to go with this). Second, if the document is opened on someone else's machine, any fonts in the EPS are likely to turn to Courier.

Your choices are to either export the graphic as a JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF (depending on the type of graphic); or do the following if you need to preserve the vector art:

1. Save the original file.
2. Save As... under a new file name (add "for Word export" to the original name, perhaps).
3. In the new file, Select All and convert type to outlines (Ctrl-Shift-O, IIRC).
4. Now do the save as EPS.

That way, the EPS does not contain any font information at all. All characters are converted to PS outline shapes and will be preserved regardless of what fonts are available on the target machine. This also gets around the problem of some fonts having the embeddability flag turned off.

HTH,

Dick