Technical marketing: starting up and finding info?

Subject: Technical marketing: starting up and finding info?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'John E. Neil'" <johnneil63 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:48:02 -0400

John Neil is <<... a Technical Communications student in Toronto and I am
seeking information on technical marketing. I am looking for information on
the skills-set of those in this field, the range of output in this field and
an idea of what differentiates a technical marketer from a technical
writer.>>

The main difference is in the style of rhetoric you'll adopt, though there's
considerable overlap at times: technical communication emphasizes teaching
people how to use products or communicating complex concepts to an audience,
whereas technical marketing involves effecting a mind change in the
audience. That change may be "I want to buy that techie product" or "I now
understand this issue and can make an informed decision", but the main tool
is persuasion rather than education.

<<I am also seeking somebody in the Toronto area that I may contact about
this field.>>

Contact your local chapter of STC (www.stc-va.org should have full contact
info.), and see if you can link up with the Toronto chapter of the
International Association of Business Communicators (IABC). You should also
call U of T or York U and chat with a few of their marketing professors;
they should be able to provide very specific guidance about how to get
plugged into the marketing community.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."--Goethe