Re: Repeating the same verb

Subject: Re: Repeating the same verb
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek -at- erols -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:16:12 -0400

Eadaoin,

I agree with your proofer. This is a common redundancy, but is very
easily fixed. Why not just illustrate the function. For example, just
skip the "this allows you to.." because that's obvious, and just list
the functions..."Opens the document", etc.

I once worked at an editorial site that opened every consultant's
profile with the verb "Has..." When I asked why, the manager said it was
a template. That kind of editorial laziness gives tech writing a bad
name!

--

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek -at- erols -dot- com

Celebrate failure! It's a critical element of learning.