RE: Burn out

Subject: RE: Burn out
From: bdavis -at- acucorp -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:14:26 -0700

Sounds like you have it bad...

What helps me fight burn out is to MAKE time in my life for creative
outlet. When I sense that I'm feeling fried I sign up for a workshop or
class in something totally unrelated to work. (poetry, mask making, french
cooking...) Even though I usually go into the class dreading one more
demand on my time, I am always surprised to find the contact with new
people and new challenges nourishes and energizes me.

Another thing I do when I'm feeling overwhelmed and burnt out is volunteer
work. A church near my house serves dinner for homeless families once a
week . I take in some food or clothes as a donation and help serve the
dinner. It really puts things in perspective.

That may get you through December, but from the sound of it, you need a
longer term solution too...like Elna described.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Bettina

Bettina Davis
Communications Department
Acucorp, Inc
San Diego, California

Atek Writer wrote:
Problem: I am burned out <snip>
As a tech writer, there are several things that I am lacking that are
vital
to me -- close contact with people during the work day (I really love to
help people <snip>
and perhaps the thing I miss most -- creativity. <snip>
...but I'm hoping that you can help me in the short-term by suggesting
strategies for coping with burn out.