Re: Burn out

Subject: Re: Burn out
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:34:08 -0700

The advice to do something other than work is the best you can get. I do
karate every Tuesday morning in a private class. Have been for 18 months. Am
I terrible good? I don't think so. I do have a yellow belt now but, frankly,
I think I got it for attendance. Will I get a black belt? Perhaps, by the
time I am 50 - about 10 more years. Do I care? Not at all.

Karate is a be-here-now activity. If you don't pay attention, you get hit in
the head or you don't get the kata or what ever it is that is happening. You
cannot have your head any where but there. There is also a great deal of fun
in learning how to use your belt as an offensive weapon and bashing things
with it. Great stress relief.

Regardless of what activity you choose, you have to make the time to do it.
I also take Sundays off every week. After 5+ years of working 7 days a week,
70+ hours a week, my husband pointed out in the nicest possible way that I
was a stressed out person who was no fun to be around. And, I was VERY
burned out on the whole work/tech writing/running a business thing. Mostly
on Sundays, I read quietly or garden or walk or other quiet activities.
Really makes a difference. Makes me want to get in the office on Monday to
see what is up.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org