Preserving Word 97's cross-file links when converting to .pdf

Subject: Preserving Word 97's cross-file links when converting to .pdf
From: "Jennifer Brady" <jmbrady1217 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:04:11 CDT

Hello-

I am working with a multi-file document, and am in the home strech, happy to have successfully navigated around Word's Master Document feature. Now it's the PDF giving me trouble. I'm using PDF Maker/Distiller, not Writer. In this document there are "local" TOCs for each chapter, in addition to the TOC for the entire document.

I've followed the directions in the Acrobat Guide for "combining multiple postscript files into one PDF file", and the .pdf generates fine except that the table of contents links don't jump where they should . . . when I can get them to jump at all. Using this technique, the "local" TOCs don't link at all, while the "general" TOC links are haphazard.

I've also experimented with the Acrobat feature that allows you to insert pages from other PDFs into a file, which is much easier than the .ps business and the "local" TOCs work, however the "general" TOC doesn't link at all.

If the answers are in this scary looking "pdfmark Reference Manual", please help me through it!

-Jennifer Brady