Burnout Comes Early

Subject: Burnout Comes Early
From: Raymond Springer <Raymond -dot- Springer -at- hummingbird -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:11:13 -0400

Folks:

I understand that burnout could occur after a few years, but what about when
you're fresh out of school? I started at a company a few weeks ago, and have
been in "the deep end" ever since, trying to learn tools and complex
applications at the same time while trying to update online help files that
feature very poor navigation. Yet my trials pale in comparison to those of
some of my former classmates, who work for companies that see people as
little more than replaceable cogs and then complain about high turnover.

Reading about your experiences, I feel that this must be the industry-wide
status quo, and that I can only look forward to endless years of "the same."
Which brings me to my question: In your experience, is Technical Writing as
a profession merely a high-tech sweatshop? If the answer is yes, it's not
too late for me to pack it in and move to the beach in Bali.

Sincerely,
RAS