Help with general screen terminology

Subject: Help with general screen terminology
From: Sharon Deitch <sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:35:06 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm at a new job here, (I can't remember if I posted telling everyone that I
changed jobs. I mostly lurk on this list.), where I am the only tech writer
documenting as yes unfinished software from scratch. To give a bit of
background, I live in Jerusalem, Israel, and am one of only two native
English speakers in the company. I've been searching the web for sites that
can help me with screen terminology, but I had no luck, and I'm in a bit of
a rush.

Our software has data screens that include, among other fields, several
grids. Generally, there is one grid area per data record, and the grid area
has tabs, (which graphically look like buttons) which switch from one set of
data to another, as well as sortable columns (that can also be grouped).
These grids basically serve as sub-levels of the main record, but they
APPEAR on the main data record.

I temporarily called them Details sections of the data record. My boss says
that all the fields are basically details, and he wants a better word. Can
anyone tell me what to call these areas?

Also, is "repository" an OK end-user term? What about "drill-down?"

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thanks so much for your help.


Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com

P.S. Yes, I did check the archives.

Previous by Author: Re: Font size
Next by Author: Re: thought-provoking web page question
Previous by Thread: RE: OT RE: Curling
Next by Thread: RE: Help with general screen terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads