Re: Burnout Comes Early

Subject: Re: Burnout Comes Early
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:00:38 +0100

> Here in the UK I'd say no to the sweatshop theory. Admittedly, in my first
> job, the staff turnover was about 70% in the first year but this was more down
> to the company's short-sighted attitude. Paid graduated fairly well and the
> training was very intense and on the job - read dropped in the deep end to
> sink or swim but the support was there and you got a really good training.
> However, pay didn't increase in relation to expertise so graduates came,
> learned, didn't get a reasonable raise and left for greener fields -I bet
> other local firms just loved us for doing their training for them!

Since then, all the companies I've worked for have placed a high value on
documentation and paid appropriately in salary, training etc. One company (alas
before I joined!) had a really excellent year and took all the staff on holiday
to Morocco for a week as a thank-you. By the time I joined the company had grown
considerably and we had to be content with bonuses!

Current job - pays fees for one professional body and encourages people to join
(most engineers are IEEE members), 2 conferences this year, training on software
as needed.... Generally the companies I've been with (maybe I've just been
lucky) have seen the employees as a valuable asset and worked on keeping that
asset and improving its worth to the company.

Damien Braniff
--
Damien Braniff
Technical Author