RE: Burnout Comes Early

Subject: RE: Burnout Comes Early
From: "Philip Boyer" <pboyer -at- dimasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:03:35 -0500

Raymond asks: "In your experience, is Technical Writing as a profession
merely a high-tech sweatshop?"

In my experience, NO.

You could do a lot worse than technical writing. I remind myself of that
every summer day in Dallas, Texas, when I see construction workers toiling
away in 100+ degree heat.

I'm in my 12th year as a technical writer and am working for my 4th company.
When I feel burnout or complacency setting in, I start looking for a new
position. I've always worked for small companies (as a sole writer or as one
of two or three writers) where a technical writer is expected to do more
than create documents and help. I've been at my current company (12
employees) for 1.5 years. In that time, I've created HTML help, Windows
help, seminar presentations, software and company demos, and next month I'm
going to start to learn Authorware and create CBT classes.

If you start feeling burned out, it's your own fault (no matter what's going
on around you) and you owe it to yourself and your company to make changes.
Tech writing can be as challenging or as boring as you make it.

Philip