Re: Burnout Comes Early

Subject: Re: Burnout Comes Early
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>
To: Raymond Springer <Raymond -dot- Springer -at- hummingbird -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:21:15 -0400

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Emphatically no. Yes, the sweatshops are out
there--I used to work in one. Now, I work for a smaller company (50-60
people) and things are *very* different. I just finished a two-week stint
that involved pulling out all the stops, but my extraordinary effort was
recognized as just that by management. I took Monday off in lieu. The b-word
was mentioned. Most of the time, I work steady but not crazy hours. I have a
little flexibility. My opinion is respected. I respect my coworkers. I get
stock options. I work with some really cool engineers. We played laser tag
as a company. 90% of the time, I'm home for dinner. I'm encouraged to learn.
I do Web stuff, create some smaller ads in InDesign, write manuals in
FrameMaker, and am learning how to write HTML Help using Web Works
Publisher. I make a decent salary. I'm learning Linux on company time. I
really like my job. This is the second job I've had with the title
"Technical Writer".

Then again, I hear the sunsets on Bali are lovely.
--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer, V3 Semiconductor Corp.