RE: Repeating the Same Verb

Subject: RE: Repeating the Same Verb
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:20:29 -0700

Eadaoin.

The other respondents have covered most of the bases but I have a different
perspective.

As to the basic question of using the same verb for the same action, I
always (as much as possible anyway) use the same verb for the same action. I
generally say "lets" in the examples you talk about.

Similarly, I use the same noun for the same object. If it's a window, it's
always a window, and not a screen sometimes. As I humorously tell the
developers when we decide what to call some new fangled thingie in the
software, I don't care if we call it an elephant, as long as we always call
it a elephant.

For me consistency of terminolgy is one key to clear technical writing.

I've always maintained that this idea of not using the same word continuosly
to describe the same action or noun came from our 8th grade English teachers
who told to put some variety in our writing and told us that the use of
synonyms was a good thing in writing. Well, that may be the case in fiction
but not in tech writing.

Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com