conducting interviews

Subject: conducting interviews
From: "puppy vaugn" <puppy_vaugn -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:28:56 CDT

i am off to a flying start here in my new position. things are going very well (although with only two full days under my belt, i seem to be overly optomistic).

my task at the moment is to create a "work summary" of a just finished project (there is virtually no documentation on this project up to this point). i will be conducting interviews to discover who did what and why they did it. the content of some of the interviews may very well be a little over my head (i am going to have to interview some programmers; i don't know very much about programming).

my question is: do any of you have any advice on conducting interviews with people/departments that do things you know nothing (or vitrually nothing) about?

i am hoping to get to interview the project manager before anyone else; this should allow me to have a grasp of the overall project and strategies. hopefully this give me an understanding for the programmers and their objectives, but i still am incredibly nervous (anxious, stressed, intimidated, exhilerated) about having to ask them questions.....

puppy

http://www.puppyvaugn.org