Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: "Fayth Ross" <fross -at- tomax -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:09:26 -0600

Hi all,

I'm currently working as a Courseware Developer creating training manuals
and such for a retail based software company. I've been allowed to hire a
second developer, and I'm in the process of writing a request for software
for his machine. I'm currently struggling with my managers - who feel
Adobe Photoshop is overkill for any writer ("Photoshop is like using a
steam press when all you need is a hand-held iron"). They believe
Photoshop should only be used by the marketing department -- and can't
understand why anyone with a technical writing background creating training
manuals would need the program.

I have my own beliefs and biases, but I'm interested in your opinions. I'd
like to know more about the following: 1) Do you use Adobe Photoshop in
your positions? 2) If so, why is Photoshop the tool of choice? 3) What
tasks do you accomplish by using Photoshop? 4) If you don't use
Photoshop, what image editing program do you use?

I've received the impression that buying the program is not a money issue
-- it seems to be more of a justification situation.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback offline.

Thanks in advance,

Fayth Ross
Courseware Developer and Trainer
Tomax Education Services