Re: Burn Out

Subject: Re: Burn Out
From: figmo -at- rahul -dot- net (Lynn Gold)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com (Tech Writers' List)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

I mostly lurk on this list, but after two weeks of "crunch mode" doing 12
hour days seven days a week, I can relate all too well to the topic.

The only thing I can conclude is everyone has their own idea of what cures
burnout.

Here's MY problem: What do you do when you can't do the kind of stuff you
know works? Specifically:

. I can't do anything physically strenuous because I'm suffering from
costochondritis. The pain from this condition is interfering with my
ability to sleep.
. Meditation drives me nuts. If I have a burning candle all I can think of
is "I hope to dear God there isn't an earthquake and that my place
doesn't burn down." This is NOT stress-reducing. If I do it without the
candle I just plain go nuts.
. Volunteer work (beyond what I already do) isn't for me. I don't need to
add to my schedule.
. I don't have time to go away to any of the places that relax me, let
alone enough time to catch up on lost sleep.
. I don't have enough vacation time left to take a real vacation (I used
the bulk of this year's on family maintenance)

What DOES destress me:

. physical activity
. hanging around in southern California. I live in the SF Bay Area, but
if the good high tech jobs were down there I'd move in a heartbeat
. sleep
. the right kind of vacation

I don't know what to do. I'm going NUTS. I'd sleep in every day, but I've
got a new VP over me (boss's boss) who's very "Type A" and likes to see us
on site even if it jeopardizes the project and his workforce.

--Lynn