Burn off

Subject: Burn off
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:06:15 -0700 (PDT)

You think burnout sucks? Try poverty. Its much worse.

Hard work is mentally taxing. By definition, work is hard. If you're getting
burnt out in a mere months or year into a job there is a good chance:

A) You don't like what you're doing.

B) You're a pathetic lazy bum who wants immediate rewards without the hardwork.

c) You work for morons and won't face the fact that they are morons.

Most likely it is a combo of these three.

Yes, life in high-tech is hard work. Yeah, sure, picking grapes, feeding the
hungry, amateur air traffic control and other hobbies are great ways to relieve
stress and find creative outlets. But if you need a newsgroup on the Internet
to tell you this, you have bigger problems than burn out.

Honestly, what I see is a lot of the Cult of Management happening. Everybody
thinks they deserve to be a manager who puts his/her feet up, gnaws a cigar,
and works 3 hours a day, golfs 6 hours a day, and gets paid 150K a year. Yeah,
right. As Morpheus would say, "Welcome to the real world."

You are not The One, Neo. So just do your job, work hard, and rewards will come
later. The American Dream cannot be short-circuited via a Joanne Hackos book.

I must interview at least 10 morons a week who have a smattering of skills and
a big mouth who think they deserve some executive, management, coordinating,
team-building BS job. Sheesh, if those lame-ass high-paying jobs were
available *I* would take them for myself.

The blunt, cold, deal-with-it fact is - work is hard. But hard work is
rewarding when you enjoy what you do. I get a rush from doing graphics for
documents. So I do more of it. Yeah, I have to do a lot of crap I don't like,
but, that's the way it goes. Life sucks in the big city.

If you don't enjoy what you do, then why the hell are you doing it? Quit! Go do
what you want to do.

You think I want to write boring documents about network security the rest of
my life. Hell no! So I am making a movie - what I really want to do. Yeah, it
means I have to work about 700 hours a week, but so what. It is what I want and
I am going to get it no matter what. It is rewarding to work hard on something
you love.

And if something is in your way - MOVE IT. The only way to get what you want in
this world is to FORCE it to happen. Nobody is going to do it for you. So grow
up, get busy.

To quote Morpheus again:
"Sooner or later, you're going to realize, just like I did, there is a big
difference between knowing the path, and walking the path."

Andrew Plato

http://im.yahoo.com/