Re: Technical writing and Marketing

Subject: Re: Technical writing and Marketing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:01:32 -0700

Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net> wrote:

>In marketing writing, though, you never have it right. Everyone who
>considers himself or herself more knowledgeable about marketing than you
>are--in other words, everyone in the known universe--will tell you that
>what you wrote yesterday is wrong. In fact, what you wrote last week and
>got signed approval on is wrong, too. It needs to be completely
>rewritten now for a deadline that was moved forward to noon today except
>nobody told you about it because you weren't included in the meeting.
>And, oh, by the way, that $25,000 print job you just sent out yesterday
>has a typo on it.

As opposed to tech-writing, in which everyone considers himself
or herself more knowledgable about the product than you are and
will start their explanations about what you did wrong with an
explanation of how to start your computer, because you must be an
imbecile if you aren't a geek. In fact, what you wrote last week
and got signed approval on is wrong, too - and everyone who
signed denies ever signing and has somehow lost the signoff
forms. You need to completely rewrite now for a deadline that was
moved forward to noon yesterday, but nobody told you about it or
thought to include you at a meeting because what you do can be
quickly and easily done. And, oh, by the way, that print job you
sent out yesterday not only has a typo, but the product has
changed from being a sophisticated gimzo of interest to a dozen
people in the world to a makeup program designed to get
pre-adolescent girls interested in computing, and the film that
you paid extra for in order to rush it through has to be redone
because the vice president thought it would be cute to put a
teletubby on it....

In other words, plus ca change... :-)

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"They told me to think and forget what I'd heard
They taught me to lie and then questioned my word
They taught me to fail, better sink than sail,
Just play the game."
-Richard Thompson, "Can't Win"