wizard design problem

Subject: wizard design problem
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:47:49 -0700 (PDT)

Question:
we have a problem with the design of a wizard: can anyone offer
suggestions?

Background:

We have a wizard that copies multi-dimensional data from one
database to another and creates a model. It is 15 screens long.
Every step is required.

Content:

Screen 1: Introduction and Selection of 1) Copy from Database A
to Database B 2) Copy from Database B to Database A 3) Fast
update from Database B to Database A
Screen 2: Enter UserID and Password. Select Database name.
Screen 3: Name Model. Add optional Password protection
Screen 4: Select Dimensions
Screens 5-13: Select members of each dimension Basically, one
screen for each of 9 dimensions: the process is the same - very
like copying styles from one MS Word document to another - but
the content in the selection list will be different. The users
must pick at least one item for each dimension/screen)
Screen 14: Review of previous selections
Screen 15: Model created successfully (or not)

Problem:

Wizard appears too long, it bores users, it isn't "sexy" and
does not allow users to know what to expect. It does get faster
when you are more familiar with it, but it needs to make a good
- if not great - first impression.

=====
http://im.yahoo.com/