RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:59:23 -0600

Fayth,
1) Do you use Adobe Photoshop in your positions?
Not currently.
In the past, at Philips NV, I used Photoshop because the marketing
department used Photoshop.
2) If so, why is Photoshop the tool of choice?
Its not for me.
3) What tasks do you accomplish by using Photoshop?
What I did was to use photoshop as an image rendering tool for special
formats not supported by other tools (via photoshop plug-ins). Also, when
using marketing delivered images, it was nice to be able to use soure
photoshop files instead of going back to marketing for touchup work.
4) If you don't use Photoshop, what image editing program do you use?
I have used a number.

I like Debabelizer for format and palette work. (also it can do batch
development, but so can Photoshop now).
I have a program called Photoworks which is a scaled down Photoshop for
basic rendering and palette and format work.
I actually have Photoshop on my system but I never use it for work; only for
playful renditions of company photos :)

My advice is to get the tool that does the job and has a few more bells and
whistles than you currently need. Think online, think multiple format,
think batch processes, etc. Money is rarely the issue unless you are buying
$10,000 tools.

Walden Miller
Director, Engineering Services
Vidiom Systems