RE: Burn Out

Subject: RE: Burn Out
From: Jill Waite <jwaite -at- criticaldevices -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:14:25 -0500

I am a brand new member of this listserv. I was a long-time lurker on one
other (very active!) listserv in the past. Reviewing recent comments and
comparing the "feel" of this listserv to the other, it appears some
of others' postings.

I want to quote Sanjay here, but I am not suggesting that Sanjay feels the
way I am describing. I apologize to Sanjay if I give that impression. His
comment provoked some introspection and evaluation on my part, and my intent
is to use his comment as a springboard to a broader discussion.

Sanjay said: "BTW, um, shouldn't we take this OT??" in response to Kevin's
posting (partial).

I received Eric's admonishment today, just like the rest of you. I had been
amused by the brief back-and-forths about curling but I must agree, they
really *were* off topic. However, the subject of Burn Out and what other
worthy of open professional discussion. First: why did Sanjay think it
should be off-line?

Kevin's posting was witty, quirky, irreverent, and possibly skating along
the edges of the listserv rules - so? Techwhirlers are *wordsmiths* -
educated professionals who play with words, sentences and connotations all
day long! It is no surprise that our wordsmith products among ourselves are
less cut-and-dried, more fanciful even, than what we give to our clients
and/or bosses. My private term among wordsmiths to describe this phenomenon
is "word candy." Second: why did Sanjay think Kevin's word candy belonged
off-line? Is word candy not permitted?

I bring new eyes/ears to the Techwhirl listserv - are my observations
completely off-base, or am I seeing something that long-timers don't because
they've gotten used to it? Listserv rules and listserv rules enforcers play
important roles and I am not advocating anarchy. I *am* an advocate for
putting all the cards on the table, so everyone knows what the rules are.

Jill Waite
Dallas, TX
jwaite -at- criticaldevices -dot- com