RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: "Humbird, Len" <len -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'Fayth Ross'" <fross -at- tomax -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:21:56 -0700

I work in a tech pubs department. I use Photoshop to clean up screen
captures, and produce photographic effects. I'm not a power user by any
means, but I can't imagine not using it - or some other comparable photo
editing too. I've seen other non-artists struggle with "MS Paint", only
because they have no idea that it's ok to use more sophisticated tools.

Perhaps Paint Shop Pro is a viable alternative, but by far the knowledge and
plug-in base is on Photoshop. From a training and tech support point of
view, this is should be the hands-down justification. I use both. (I'm also
experimenting with a third - called Gimp.)

Being a courseware developer, don't stop with a photo editing program. Very
likely you'll also need a vector drawing program like Freehand, CorelDraw,
Visio and/or Illustrator.

Look, Authorware is probably overkill for your courseware, but if you need
even a few of its unique features, the time savings or quality improvement
of your product is the justification.

If the software is needed to get the job done, then get it!

If the software would improve the quality of your work, then get it!

If the software would reduce the time to produce your work, then get it!