Re: Burnout Comes Early

Subject: Re: Burnout Comes Early
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:49:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- Raymond Springer <Raymond -dot- Springer -at- hummingbird -dot- com> wrote:
> Which brings me to my question: In your experience, is Technical
> Writing as a profession merely a high-tech sweatshop? If the
> answer is yes, it's not too late for me to pack it in and move to the
> beach in Bali.

Let's see. I work in an environmentally controlled (comfortable)
environment. I'm sitting on my butt all day, well most of the day. I do
need to get up to get coffee or relieve the hydraulic pressure of the
coffee. And I'm doing interesting work that I love. Nope, I don't think
I'm in a sweat shop.

I've had so many worse jobs in so many worse places. I've even had
people trying to kill me. I haven't seen anything in Technical Writing
that I even thought was uncomfortable. Well, the air conditioning did
go off the other day, and I was sweating, but nah, it weren't nothin'.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems