Re: Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: Re: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:39:41 -0500

From: "Steve Shepard"

> I love Photoshop and worked in Adobe Tech Support supporting it. But... it
> can be over kill. If you are creating screen shots and the like, Paint
Shop
> Pro or Fullshot are much better options.

Here's my quick thoughts on justifying PhotoShop:

- It's cost effective to buy PhotoShop if the person already know that
program (as opposed to paying their time to learn another program).
- PhotoShop 6 offers better drawing tools than previous versions.
- For writers that prepare graphics for the web, Image Ready (which comes
with PhotoShop) is a great tool for optimizing web graphics.
- Again, for the web, version 6 offers a new slice tool for splitting
graphics. Very handy.
- Filters are fantastic tools. Other programs are compatible with PhotoShop
filters, but PhotoShop comes with an impressive range, and you are assured
compatibility with any "PhotoShop-compatible" filter, including more complex
ones such as Deep Paint or Extensis programs.
- Pen tool with bezier curves (See my comment about drawing tools above. I
think the ability to add anchor points is new to version 6, but I have the
beta on my personal machine right now and I can't peek at version 5 to
double-check. My work computer on my new job limps along, for now, on
PhotoShop 4.0 LE and Deneba Canvas.)
- I can't say whether the competing programs offer this, but the ability to
add custom brushes is a great time-saver if you ever do graphics that use
the same symbol repeatedly.
- You won't "out-grow" PhotoShop.
- And lastly, my *favorite* PhotoShop feature....(ta-da!!)....the History
Palette!! Multiple levels of Undo!!

Go to the Adobe webpage and look at the feature list for PhotoShop, and
especially the list for version 6, for more ideas.

David Berg