Re: Maintaining Numbering headings in Word 2000

Subject: Re: Maintaining Numbering headings in Word 2000
From: bdavis -at- acucorp -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:15:50 -0700

Susan,
What I'm reading here is that the header styles have Word's autonumber
feature applied and you are manually changing the numbering. If that is
so, Word will overwrite your numbering automatically...isn't Word helpful?
(not!)

If you want to manually control your heading numbers (this is what we do
in our docs), go to Format>Style in the menu bar. Select the heading level
you want to alter and click the Modify button, then the format button and
choose Numbering. Select NONE for the numbering style. Be sure to check
the box for "apply to template" if you want this to be changed in the
Normal.dot template rather than just the individual document.
Disclaimer: This is what we do in Word 97....YMMV since I haven't seen
how Win2K has changed things yet.

Hope this helps!
Bettina

Bettina Davis
Technical Writer
Acucorp, Inc.
San Diego, CA
Subject: Maintaining Numbering headings in Word 2000
From: "Arbing, Susan" <Susan -dot- Arbing -at- Cyberplex -dot- com>

I am working with a document in Word 2000 using the normal template. The
headings in the Normal template are numbered; however, the headings in my
document do not reflect the numbering. When I assign numbering to them,
the
numbering is not saved when I save my document.