RE: Help with general screen terminology

Subject: RE: Help with general screen terminology
From: stephanie -at- storerunner -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:17:05 -0700

Sharon wrote:
>>Our software has data screens that include, among other fields, several
grids...I temporarily called them Details sections of the data record.

Why not refer to them as "grids", and then even go further to specify
"rows", "columns", "cells"? An alternative to "grids" is "tables".

And later in Sharon's message:
>>Also, is "repository" an OK end-user term?

Depends on the education level or expertise level of your users.
"Repository" is a techie word, in my experience. "Depository" has almost
the same meaning, and beginning-level thinkers might relate to that word
easier. {List?} I like to go to www.thesaurus.com to find different
words -- you might like to give that a try.

Finally:
>>What about "drill-down?"
I think drill-down is only contextually clear. Is this a drill-down in a
navigation tree? Or a drill-down in a reporting category? If there is a
chance for both drill-downs to exist, than try to find a second term.
Since drill-down is not an offical -- dictionary -- word, I am having a
hard time thinking of another term...but maybe one should "navigate
up/down" with trees, and drill-down in reports {List? again}

Good luck!

Stephanie
stephanie -at- storerunner -dot- com
www.storerunner.net