RE: Burn off

Subject: RE: Burn off
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Ruhman, Rima" <RRuhman -at- FDIC -dot- gov>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

"Ruhman, Rima" wrote in message ...

> You know, Andrew, what really saddens me about your responses is that,
> although they are witty, they lack sympathy.

Sometimes being stern is the most sympathetic thing you can do.

> Sometimes individuals on this list really do need advice-- constructive
> advice. Although I realize we are not a self-esteem building group on a
> quest to salvage the feelings of tech writers in our sector of the Universe,
> I do feel that perhaps sometimes it is wise to refrain from activating the
> Star Ship and ejecting those feeling a little burnt out and in need of
> oxygen.

I wasn't ejecting anybody, Rima. My post was centered at people who are
burning out a mere months into their job. There are a lot of people in
technical writing (and on this list) who really do not want to be technical
writers. They don't enjoy writing and figuring out complex technical stuff.
Some are failed authors, others are just lost souls who think there is some
"honor" in being a writer. Whatever the case, if you're getting overloaded
that quickly - clearly the problem is somewhere in you and not out here.

Myself and others have written for decades, and while there are times when I
get tired and burnt out, I keep doing this because I love it.

I think a lot of people are also ungreatful for what they have. Hence my
comment about poverty. We live in good times. Be happy that you have a good
paying job, DVD players, reliable automobiles, and non-stop Internet
pornography. Because you could lose it all tomorrow.

Andrew Plato

http://photos.yahoo.com/